Finally made it to Forty Hands Coffee this afternoon! The cafe was pretty crowded when we got there at 3pm. Indoor seats were fully occupied. Lucky for us, we found an indoor seat very quickly as the weather was really hot and stuffy. We wanted to avoid the outdoor as much as we could. From the carpark, we found Forty Hands and entered the cafe through the backyard.
I love the interior! Every single piece of decor from tables to chairs contain a vintage touch. The mural paintings on the wall compliment their cafe concept. Somehow 40 hands brought me back to Bangkok Mango Tango that shares similar design concepts. Anyways lunch choices on weekdays are limited mostly sandwiches when I was hoping to try out Salmon Hash. So we settled for what was available, sandwiches obviously. On a second thought, I feel that their price tag is slightly steep for a cafe in Tiong Bahru. You can choose to skip the Truffle Fries which costs 8 bucks, nothing special about it and avoid the lunch hours as the seats are limited.
Damage for lunch, 46 bucks!
Jamaican Pork Sandwich ....................... $11
Truffle Mushroom Sandwich .................. $11
Truffle Fries ........................................... $8
Ice Mocha ............................................. $8
So what's my verdict for 40 Hands Coffee? 3 out of 5
Truffle Mushroom sandwich was very fulfilling for lunch, I am skipping dinner tonight! Yummy sandwich spread with 3 types of mushrooms and plenty of wild rockets. Hazel ordered a cup of hot mocha that came with a lovely design on the foam, not commonly seen in cafes especially Singapore. Since coffee is their specialty, never leave the place without ordering a cup! Ambience wise, I enjoyed the cosy and laid back atmosphere however it can be a little narrow to walk around from the counter to your seats when the cafe is crowded.
Where is 40 Hands Coffee?
78 Yong Siak Street, #01-12 Tiong Bahru
t / + 62258545
Opening hours: Closed on Mondays
Tues & Sun: 8.30am - 6.30pm
Wed & Thurs: 8.30am - 10pm
Fri & Sat: 8:30am - 11pm
Books Actually
Explored another treasure found in Yong Siak Street. Books Actually is just right across the road from 40 Hands Cafe. It is a unique bookstore housed with vintage stationery, toys and tons of books! Look at this book shelf below, I was totally mesmerized by the row of vintage cameras and figurines, wished I can bring some home!
So, something caught Hazel's attention in this shop too. Yes, the A&W water bottle below! From what I heard, she used to own one of these bottles many years ago. I haven't seen this in my era, probably I am not a hyper fan of A&W back then but I love their root beer float and chicken wings. I doubt A&W has any outlets left in Singapore now. I am sure this rare sight rekindled her childhood memories hehehe...
Where is Books Actually?
No. 9 Yong Siak Street, Tiong Bahru Estate Singapore 168645
t / +65 6222 9195


No comments:
Post a Comment